Happy New Year
Wishing a safe & healthy New Year to all!
Did you know January is Stalking Awareness Month?
Visit www.stalkingawarenessmonth.org for more information.
LONG-TERM OFFENDERS IN COUNTY JAILS
CSSA SURVEY (as of 4/25/14)
AB 109 REALIGNMENT INFORMATION
AB 109 (Chapter 15, Statutes of 2011) became effective on October 1, 2011. Beginning on October 1 all qualifying low level offenders convicted of non-serious, non-violent, non-sex offenses will begin serving their sentence at the local level rather than in state prison.
Below we have gathered information that has been distributed to our membership regarding realignment. Additionally, we have provided links to other helpful websites related to realignment.
Video - Criminal Justice Realignment - What Counties Need To Know To Implement
Note: Viewers may need to download an add-on to PowerPoint to view. Instructions are on the video page.
Criminal Justice Realignment Implementing Legislation
- California Counties Practice Smart Justice by CSAC
- Voices from the Field: How California Stakeholders View Public Safety Realignment by Joan Petersilia. Stanford Criminal Justice Center, November 2013. This report summarizes the results of interviews conducted with California stakeholders responsible for implementing AB 109.
- Follow the Money: How California Counties Are Spending Their Public Safety Realignment Funds by Jeffrey Lin and Joan Petersilia. Stanford Criminal Justice Center, November 2013. This report examines how counties are spending their money, and the relationship between their discretionary spending choices and county-level differences in crime, political context, community attitudes, economic vitality, and other important demographic and social factors.
- Napa County Jail to Provide Video Visitation for Inmates, Families
By mid-March, friends and family of inmates at the Napa County Jail will visit using video and the Internet, thanks to a video visitation system. Similar to popular Internet applications such as FaceTime and Skype, the video visitation program provides the opportunity for family and friends to connect with inmates regardless of distance and with more flexibility in scheduling.
- Joint Venture Program URL
- CALREALIGNMENT.ORG -The CALrealignment.org website was developed as part of a state-wide conference on criminal justice realignment that was held on September 21 in Sacramento. The website will continue to present information on best practices, assist counties to access technical assistance providers, and make available county realignment plans as they are approved.